If you’re like me and crave sweets pretty frequently, you will love these decadent vegan peanut butter bars!
Vegan, Vegetarian, Dairy-free, Gluten-free
Total time: 20 minutes of prep; 6-8 hours in the freezer
For the filling:
1 cup peanut butter (you can use any nut or nut-free butter)
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1-1/4 cups coconut flour (or any other flour or flour substitute)
2/3 cup raw peanuts (crushed)
1/4 teaspoon salt
For the topping:
150 grams dairy-free dark chocolate
1/2 tablespoon coconut oil
1/4 cup raw peanuts (crushed)
1. First you will need to crush your peanuts in a food processor, you can also do this by hand by placing them in a strong ziplock bag and crushing them with a small hammer (or whatever else works).
2. In a large mixing bowl, mix together your ingredients for the filling by hand. This will form a soft dough.
3. Cover a standard pie dish (9″ diameter, 1-1/4″ deep) with parchment paper. Next, add your soft dough and evenly spread out. You can also use a rectangular or square dish, just make sure it’s around the same size. Now pop into the fridge to chill while you prepare your chocolate.
4. Now you’re ready to melt your chocolate! On your stove, boil about 2 cups of water in a medium sauce pan. Once boiling, reduce to medium heat and place a bowl on top to cover or “sit” on the saucepan – this is how you’re going to melt your chocolate! Add your 150 grams of chocolate and 1/2 tablespoon of coconut oil, and stir consistently. The hot water and steam from below will melt your chocolate. Once done, carefully remove your bowl. I would recommend doing this with an oven mitt, the bowl is going to be very hot! If you have another way to melt your chocolate, that’s totally fine! I’m just explaining how I did it!
5. Next, remove your peanut butter dish from the fridge and pour your melted chocolate over, ensuring you spread evenly. Next sprinkle with more crushed peanuts, and pop into the freezer for 6-8 hours! I actually kept mine in overnight and that worked too. Once your bars are done, I would recommend removing them from the dish and placing them on a flat cutting board. Flip them over so the chocolate part is on the bottom, this will make cutting them into squares A LOT easier!
Enjoy, these bars are soo tasty! Definitely a new favourite of mine!