Consuming a 100% plant-based or a vegan diet doesn’t mean that you need to give up your favourite meals, they just need to be veganized! Before becoming vegetarian (and then vegan) I was never really a fan of plain hot dogs. However, the ones loaded with caramelized onion and all the other stuff they put on them would always catch my eye, and I couldn’t resist ordering one. The food trucks you see in downtown cores with the crazy hot dogs are what inspired this simple, yet delicious, recipe.
These ‘veganized’ dogs are so good that even your non-vegan and vegetarian friends will love them – give them a try!
Recipe makes: 4 hot dogs
- 1 package of Yves Veggie, Spicy Italian Veggie Sausages
- 4 (vegan-friendly) hot dog buns
- 1/2 cup Daiya Foods Mozzarella Style Shreds
- 2/3 cup sliced sweet onion
- 1/2 cup sliced red cabbage
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon minced garlic
Additional toppings (optional):
- Vegan mayo
- Hot sauce
- Begin by caramelizing onion and red cabbage with olive oil and garlic on medium heat in a frying pan.
- Next, preheat oven to 400F. Place veggie dogs on hotdog bun and top with vegan mozzarella cheese.
- Place veggie dogs on a baking sheet and pop into the oven. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Keep stirring onion and cabbage mixture while you wait for your veggie dogs to bake.
- Remove from oven and top with caramelized onion and cabbage.
- Finally, top with any additional toppings.